Building the business you need to have the life you want, may mean that you need to grow your business so that it can do for you what you want it to. So here are 10 things you can do to help you get the business you want.
1. Have a great team – You won’t be able to do it all by yourself, you’ll need help, so build the right team, as Jim Collins would say ‘ Get the right people on the bus and in the right seats’. You might want a holiday and the business has got to run without you.
2. Be a good leader – If you’re a good leader with a great plan your team will follow you. Ask questions and listen, if you dictate and don’t involve team members in making decisions, you’ll get left to make all the decisions.
3. Have a plan – It’s good to know where you’re going and putting numbers on it will make it easier to see whether you are on track or not.
4. Build your business with systems – Your business is the systems and processes and your team operate those systems and processes. Systems mean the outcome should be predictable and consistent, keeping everyone happy, both customers and the team.
5. Continuous improvement – Involve the team in setting up the systems and involve them in improving it so that you get better and better.
6. Have great marketing – Without customers you won’t have a business so you need to have great marketing systems to get your product or service in front of your target market.
7. Super sales skills – Once you have got your sales lead, you need to be good at selling. Some products or services may sell themselves, other will require sales skills, do you have them?
8. Industry knowledge – What’s happening in your industry? What’s around the corner? Do you know these things or are you getting left behind?
9. Make profit – It helps to be in control of your finances and know how well you are doing. The profit you make from your business is going to have to fund what you want to get out of it; for future growth through investment in equipment and premises, as well as being able to repay company borrowing.
10. Cash – I’ve highlighted this separately because no matter how much profit you make if you haven’t got cash you won’t be able to pay the bills or the wages, which could cause you to lose everything.
We work with business owners to build the businesses they need to have the life they want, so if you want to talk about how to grow your business get in touch with me on 01803 296678 or email firstname.lastname@example.org